Friday, August 16, 2013

The three week holiday

It's been a long time since I was able to take three weeks off, but this year has been a real treat. Walking, messing about in boats, playing cricket, reading books, generally just doing the sort of casual ambling about I always have. 

But has it been a proper and total switch off? Sort of. Being self-employed means always being on call. I've had phone calls to make and emails to respond to every day. I popped down to Old Trafford for the Third Ashes Test, which was sort of work related. We went to see Rovers up at Carlisle, which felt like work. I've nearly finished a book I'm writing, but there's still more to do. Things were piling up to such an extent that on Monday this week I rented an office in Ulverston, plugged in and did a full shift catching up.

I'm not complaining, but only time will tell whether I've properly recharged the batteries. I don't think it's even possible for anyone to fully disengage. 

The one thing I do know is the experience of a view like this every morning for three weeks is remarkably good for the soul.

No comments: