Saturday, March 03, 2012

If you are going to San Francisco...

My favourite American city is San Francisco. I'm delighted to be heading there next weekend. If there are any tips and hints and places to see then I'd be delighted to hear them as I've not been for ten years. I'll be staying in Union Square in the centre of the city and therefore pretty handy. I've got a tour of Alcatraz booked in, which I'd not done before, and I'm not drinking at the moment. Anything else considered.

When I stayed in 2000 I saw an art deco poster from the 1920s. I have never been able to find it online or in any shop in the USA. I also tracked down the poster from an Oasis concert in 1996 I went to and it was rubbish - quite embarrassingly so - and therefore developed a bit of a mission to find some San Francisco art for our home that reminds me of this wonderful city. The fall back position is this poster, left from designers Anderson Design Group.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael
For us San Francisco meant: Dylan’s Tours, the Chancellor Hotel and Eggs Benedict, the Ferry Building at Pier 1 and the fantastic food, the Alcatraz tour, the majestic redwoods of Muir Woods, Sausalito and the ferry back. the Japanese tea garden in Golden Gate park, dipping a foot for the first time in the Pacific Ocean , Farmer Browns with cool jazz, the Cable cars and riding with the brakeman, burgers at Macy’s overlooking Union Square, Italian North Beach crossing into Chinatown , The City Lights book shop next to the Kerouac-haunted Vesuvio pub, fog rolling in over Golden Gate Bridge, creatives drinking cappucino in cool cafes in the Mission district while writing blogs on Macbooks, taking an espresso in Cafe Trieste on Vallejo in North Beach where cops meet wise guys, the Rogue Ales pub serving so many American craft beers and joining in the quiz