Monday, February 28, 2011

Breakfast with Anglo by Simon Kelly - book review in a lift

I'm fascinated by how people were thinking in the run up to the financial crisis of 2008. Everyone I interview through my work I ask the same thing: where were you and what were you thinking? 2008 in particular intrigues me. It will be seen as seismic in years to come as our parents generation viewed 1968. Who saw the signs of the looming crash? How did they react? Who had an epiphany or a moment of clarity? And has anyone truly registered the enormity of what happened? So, how could I not be drawn to this book by an Irish property developer who lived the dream and then the nightmare as it all fell apart. He spares us the melodrama, holds back on something spiritual that stirred in him and the result has a low key matter of fact melancholy about it. It's a long way of saying I enjoyed it because I'm a bit of an anorak about this period, but there is more dramatically written and explosively sensationalist stuff out there. 5.5/10

No comments: