Sunday, September 20, 2009

What not to wear

I'm off to Everton today to see Rovers. I'm a guest of an Evertonian diehard in some posh seats, which has meant I have had to devote some time to wondering what to wear. I don't think I've ever been as uncomfortable in a football stadium as when I've gone suited and booted and then had to sit amongst normal people who aren't. So the new "smart casual" rules in the so-called executive lounges at football matches create all manner of tricky etiquette dilemmas.

Jeans are acceptable apparently, trainers aren't. Do you then wear a work shirt? Or a polo? A jacket? Or just a coat? Then there's the weather, it's bright now, but could be freezing in Scouse land.

Twenty five years ago, I used to REALLY think about what I was going to wear to football. Pringle jumper, Lois cords, Lacoste shirt, Clarks desert boots, suede jacket... And do you know what, I've more or less just pulled that look out today (with tweaks). Amen.

No comments: