Sunday, August 23, 2009

On the wagon

After a great holiday, and the subsequent shock of having to get back into the commuting and working, I thought I'd lay off the grog. I'm not a heavy drinker. I don't get pissed very often, but like a lot of people of my generation we've taken to having wine about the house. I've started to discover favourites as well, usually strong Italian reds or a potent New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

My pal Erikka Askeland gave up alcohol for a commendable 40 days a few years back and wrote a very entertaining blog about it. Her abstinence was all the more remarkable for the fact she lives in Scotland.

I'm not going to do a confessional theme on this blog, but we are going to see if we can cut it right back. Last night we thought we might fall off the wagon as we had friends coming over. Apart from a welcome glass of Cava, the wine was left untouched. Mornings have been strange. I feel groggy but rested. I've also combined it with walking a lot more as I'm "between cars". So, just thought it's worth putting a marker down. No big deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having spent the summer hols on the Vendee and coming home with the obligatory car full of finest French red, the wagon will have to wait a little bit longer for me and the missus!!