Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The tail that WAGs the dog

I am a huge supporter of the backlash against the WAGs, which started after the World Cup, but has gathered some slow momentum. So, fair play to Roy Keane for his contribution reported in full here:

Sunderland manager Roy Keane attacked “weak” footballers whose sporting lives are dictated by their girlfriend’s uncompromising quest for designer labels, reports the Guardian. Keane attempted to sign a series of players who turned him down because their WAGs were apparently unimpressed by the shopping opportunities in the northeast. “It tells me the player is weak and his wife runs his life,” said Keane. “The idea of women running the show concerns and worries me.”

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a website such as this, here. Or even a t-shirt such as this, here, but thought you should at least be aware of it. God Hates WAGs? If they repent they may be forgiven their sins of avarice, lust, greed, vanity and stupidity.

An old acquintance has become a WAG, and is with a once portly Premiership journeyman. They moved North and I made an effort to be friendly. Her reply to my invitation to my birthday party last year was:

"K is at training camp in Germany and I have better things to do than hang around hotels in Salford on my own."

It's not like the party was at the Dock and Duck in Little Hulton, it was at the Lowry. Which is where the England team stay; so my invite was actually the nearest they'd ever get. Miaow.

No comments: