Monday, December 11, 2006

Whatever happened to...

To the Bull's Head next to Stockport market for a punk Christmas fair. Didn't find much to decorate the new tree, but I only really went to say hello to Alex Ogg, author of this magnificent history book about punk, which you can buy here.

Musical retrospectives often miss the point of a movement. This really captures the DIY nature of punk, as well as the authentic attitude, warts and all.

I used to work with Alex a bit in London, me a writer, him a sub. Creation magazine (b. 1997) is peppered with headlines drawn from song titles and catchy lyrics from days gone by. He's also done the sleeve notes for my undisputed favourite American punk album of all time Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys.

And though fatherhood has made us grow up a bit, my brood includes a Joe; Alex has a son called Hugh.

No comments: